Blick auf den Eingang der Synagoge

(Deutsch) Einladung Orte – MEKOMOT in Warschau

Foto: Emmanuel Dyan, CC BY-SA 2.5-2.0-1.0

Start: 19:30 pm, at the Nożyk Synagogue Warsaw

Before the German occupation one third of the population of Warsaw, the yiddish Varshe, was Jewish, there were communities of various confessions and many synagogues.

In 1893, the merchant Zalman Nożyk bought ground at Twarda street in the Polish capital and had a synagogue for the Orthodox community erected on his own costs that was inaugurated in 1902. It had space for 565 people, mainly from the wealthy Jewish bourgeoisie. During the Nazi occupation 1939-1941, it was used as a storage and horse stable, in 1941 though the concession was given to re-open three synagogues in Warsaw, among them the Nożyk Synagogue. After the war it served as a house of prayer until the anti-Semitic wave in 1968, in 1983 it was re-opened after renovation at the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.

Neo-romantic and Byzantine elements can be seen at the facade and the interior of the t-shaped building that is oriented on the Jerusalem Temple. It is the only historical building of the many Warsaw synagogues that survived Nazism and Communism until today.

zurück